Ask Larry

Should I File For Survivor Benefits Now?

I am 60.5 yrs of age. I was married and divorced for 11.5 yrs. My ex just passed. I still work full time for the state of texas making $49K. Should I apply for deceased survivor benefits now and then when I reach retirement age see which will be higher for me to flip too?


Possibly, but your current earnings level would probably cause your most if not all of your benefits to be withheld due to Social Security's earnings test (

Your best strategy is likely one of the following:
1) File for reduced surviving divorced spousal benefits now or as soon as your earnings will permit benefits to be paid, then switch to your own record at age 70; or,
2) File for reduced retirement benefits at age 62 or as soon as your earnings will permit benefits to be paid, then file for unreduced surviving divorced spousal benefits at full retirement age or whenever your survivor rate is at it's highest point if your ex-husband received reduced retirement benefits.

Our maximization software can help you determine which of the above filing strategies is best in your case, as well as when to apply for each type of benefit.

Best, Jerry

Jul 26 2017 - 4:47pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License