Ask Larry

Is It Correct That My Son Has To Start Over And Reapply In Order To Get Half Of My My Wife's Benefit Rate?

My wife receives SS as she is over 62 and retired. Our 31 year old son was declared disabled before turning 22 and receives SSI. I was told (by a friend) that to get half of his mothers SS that we would have to start over and re-apply. Is that correct and if not how do we go about getting half her benfits for him.
Thank you any help that you can provide

Hi Andy. I wouldn't call it starting over, but yes your son would have file an application in order to become entitled to disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits on his mother's account. He can initiate that process by calling Social Security at 800-772-1213.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security DAC benefits different benefit types, which is why separate applications are required.

Best, Jerry

Oct 31 2021 - 2:15pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.