Ask Larry

If My Son Starts Out Drawing On My Wife's Record Can He Switch To My Record When I File For My Benefits?

My wife and I are about the same age 60. We have a son who is now age 31, was disabled before age 22 and is on SSI. My wife will have somewhat less than a max SS retirement benefit, and I will have a max SS retirement benefit. If she commences her SS retirement benefit before I do, will my son's SSDI benefit increase when I eventually commence my greater SS retirement benefit later?


Yes. Your son would need to meet the same requirements to draw disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits on either your or your wife's records, so if he initially qualifies for DAC benefits on your wife's account he could later switch to a higher benefit rate on your record.

It sounds like there are a number of factors that could affect your family's optimal strategy for claiming your Social Security benefits, so you should strongly consider using our software to explore and compare all of your various options.

Best, Jerry

Dec 5 2018 - 9:49am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.