If My Husband Dies, Can I Suspend My Social Security And Draw Widow's Benefits?

Nov 9 2016 - 11:45am

If my husband dies, can I suspend my social security, draw his until I turn 70, and then redraw mine?


No, you can't. Once you file for benefits on your own record, that becomes your primary benefit for life. If you also become entitled to another type of benefit, you receive your own benefit plus the excess amount payable from the other record (e.g. widow's rate minus your own rate). And, under the new law (https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspendfaq.html), you would not even be able to receive an excess widow's benefit while your own benefits are in suspense.

Best, Jerry