Ask Larry

If My Child Already Receives Benefits As A Disabled Child Will I Have To File For His Benefit To Be Recalculated When I Apply For My Benefits?

If my disabled child already receives Ssdi based on my spouse social security records when I retire will I have to file for his ssdi to be recalculated based on what my retirement amount be or will I have the option of not allowing him to receive the higher benefit amount that will impact his Ssi?

Hi. Yes. a new application would be required in order to entitle your disabled child to benefits on your account. However, if your child is already drawing disabled adult child (DAC) benefits on the record of another parent then a new medical determination is normally not required.

One of the requirements for a person to be paid Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is that the person must file for any other benefits for which they are eligible. SSI is needs based and is intended as a last resort source of support. Therefore, if your child's DAC rate on your account will be higher than the DAC rate he currently receives then he'll have to apply for the higher DAC benefit or else his SSI payments will be suspended.

Best, Jerry

Nov 13 2021 - 9:00am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.