Ask Larry

If I Buy A Home With Money That's Gifted To Me Do I Need To Report It To Social Security?

I'm on ss disability. if I decide to buy a home with money thats a gift, I'm using as a down payment, do I need to report it to ss? Thank you.


As long as what you're receiving are Social Security disability (SSDI) benefits, or any other type of Social Security benefit for that matter, then no you wouldn't need to tell Social Security about a gift of money or the purchase of a home. However, if you're receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), then you would need to report any change in your income or resources. SSI is a needs based benefit administered by the Social Security Administration, but Social Security benefits are not needs based.

Best, Jerry

Nov 17 2020 - 11:58am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License