Ask Larry

I’m 64 and Divorced. How Can I Raise My Lifetime Social Security Benefits?

Hi Larry, I'm single and still working at age 64. My 2 children are healthy and on their own. Is there anything that a single person can do? Would it be a good idea to pay the $40 for your web site review? I plan on working till at least 66 and probably longer. Thanks Larry, Doug Chapin

Dear Doug, Depending on your maximum age of life, waiting till 70 to collect your retirement benefit at its highest possible value is best. Software, ours or that of other careful vendors, can show you the lifetime benefit gains from being patient and also from working longer.

Also, if you are divorced after having been married for 10 years, you can collect just a divorced spousal benefit starting at 66 and then take your own retirement benefit at 70. This can mean as much as $60,000 more in total lifetime benefits! Again, good software programs will show you this. Best, Larry

Jun 25 2016 - 7:30pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.