How Do I Switch From Spousal Benefits To Benefits On My Own Record?

Feb 1 2017 - 7:45am


What is the process to switch from receiving spousal benefits to filing for benefits under your own earnings record/social security number?

I've scoured many social security websites but can't seem to find a concise answer.



You'll need to file a separate application to start benefits on your own record. If your own benefit rate is higher than the spousal benefit, the spousal benefits will stop when your own benefits start.

Applications can be filed up to 4 months in advance of the month you want to switch to your own record. You can make an appointment to file an application by calling 1-800-772-1213, or you can contact your nearest office:

Best, Jerry