Ask Larry

Could I Draw Benefits Off Of My Dad's Or Mom's Record?

I'm 53 years old, I've never married and I have physically and mental disorders that prevent me from employment. I was told that I may be able to draw off of my Dad now deceased or my Mom's SS. I live with elderly Mom. It takes ALL our funds just to survive. Please help and tell me my options. If anything befall her I will basically be desitute.


You could only qualify for Social Security benefits on your parents' accounts if you've been continuously disabled since before you turned age 22. If you think that might be the case, you may want to contact Social Security to apply for disabled adult child's benefits.

If you didn't become disabled until after age 22, you may want to look into the possibility of filing for either Social Security disability benefits (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The latter benefit is a needs based program administered by Social Security (

Best, Jerry

Dec 4 2018 - 10:43am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.