Ask Larry

Could I Be Eligible To Receive Benefits Off Of My Deceased Mother's Record?

I get adult SSI but I got diagnosed when I was a child. I have medical records dating back40 years or more, was hospitalized numerous times as a child, but didn't get benefits until my early 20s because my mother didn't know to apply. She's passed on now, and I was wondering if I could possibly be eligible to receive benefits off her records and if it's even worth finding out and filing for. Thank you and have a good one.

Hi. You can always apply for Social Security benefits, but in order to be eligible for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits you must a) be disabled from an impairment that began prior to age 22, and b) have a parent who either collects Social Security disability (SSDI) or retirement benefits or who is deceased and was insured for Social Security benefits. So, assuming that your mother worked and paid into Social Security long enough to be insured then you could potentially qualify for DAC benefits on her account if Social Security concludes that you became disabled prior to age 22.

I have no way of knowing whether or not the medical records you refer to would be extensive enough to prove that you met Social Security's definition of disability prior to age 22, but it wouldn't cost you anything to apply for benefits and get a formal determination.

Best, Jerry

Oct 6 2021 - 4:13pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.