Can We Get Child's Benefits for Our Grandson?

Jun 30 2016 - 2:15pm

My husband and I are raising our 8 year old grandson. Their mother is in prison and father no where to be found. We are both working fulltime and are on social security as well. What do I need to do in order for my grandson to receive benefits. He is on Medicaid now. Will he continue to be on medicaid if we get legal custody. All we have is a signed affadavit from Mother for us to take care of him.

If you meet the requirements described in Section 325 of the Social Security Handbook, "When can a dependent grandchild or step-grandchild be considered the grandparent's “child”?" and Section 336, "When is a child dependent upon a grandparent or step-grandparent?" (See: and, then you can apply for child's benefits with Social Security.