Can My Husband Get Medicare Coverage If He's Not A U.S. Citizen?

Mar 3 2017 - 6:00am

Our family got our green card in 1992. In 2000 my husband got a very good job overseas and gave up his green card. He had 32 Social Security credits at that time. Our children and I stayed on here. He has now 69 years old, retired, and wishes to come back to the US.
Will he get Medicare benefits (I know he will have to pay for Part A till he can make up 40 points) when he gets his green card? Or will he have to wait 5 years to get Medicare? Does the clock pick up from the year 2000 when he left, or does it start afresh? Very confused.


In order to be eligible for Medicare, a person must either be a US citizen, or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence who has resided in the U.S. continuously during the 5 years preceding the month he or she files for Medicare. So, the fact that your husband lived in the U.S. previously would not help satisfy the 5 year requirement.

Best, Jerry