Can My Grandson Get Social Security On My Record?

Sep 28 2017 - 4:33pm

My question my husband and I have been raising my grandson son 2014 I was given Pmc I am 63

I am planning on take early retirement because of my health I get no help from both parents father is in Guatemala was deported and mother has a drug problem do I have to adopt him so he can qualify for my benefits


In order for a child to qualify for child's benefits on a grandparent's record, they must either a) be adopted by the grandparent, or b) both of the child's natural parents must either be disabled by Social Security's standards or deceased at the time the grandparent becomes entitled to benefits or dies.

Best, Jerry