Can My Grandchildren Get Benefits On My Record?

Jan 24 2017 - 5:45am

Hi Larry, I have 2 minor grandchildren and their Mother (Mt daughter) living with us and I claim the 2 children as dependents on my income taxes. They will be living with us permanently and my daughter cannot work as she is the care giver of them both. I am supporting them and will be qualified for FRA at 66 in May 2017. Can I receive extra SS benefits for my grand children's support? My daughter is divorced and there is no support from the father.


Grandchildren can only qualify for benefits on their grandparent's Social Security record if they are either:
1) Adopted by the grandparent; or,
2) Both of their natural or adoptive parents are either deceased or disabled.

Best, Jerry