Ask Larry

Can My Brother In Law In Mexico Apply For Benefits?

My brother in law was deported in 1997. He recently asked me if it would be possible for him to file for social social security from Mexico, now that he is age 66.

Hi. Your brother in law can certainly apply for U.S. Social Security benefits, but I don't if he'll qualify to actually be paid benefits. Social Security benefits are normally prohibited by law from being paid to someone who has been deported (

Instructions for applying for benefits while living outside the U.S. can be found on the following Social Security website:

Best, Jerry

Aug 4 2021 - 11:18am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License