Ask Larry

Can I Wait 6 Months Past My 70th Birthday Then File For SS And Request A 6 Month Lump Sum?

Hi Larry:
I will turn 70 in Sept. 2021 and have not started SS. I am going thru a divorce that my not be completed until Oct 2021. Can I wait 6 months past my 70th birthday then file for SS and request a 6 month lump sum ?

Hi Craig. Yes, you can.

Best, Jerry

Jul 3 2021 - 8:30pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License