Can I Start Drawing At Age 67 1/2 Under My Husband And Wait Until Age 70 1/2 To Draw My Own Benefits?

Feb 13 2020 - 12:10pm

If I retired at age 67 1/2 and received benefits under husband and left my ss account until I turn 70 1/2 can I go back and draw under my own?


The only way that a person can draw just spousal benefits only on a living husband's record is if they a) were born prior to January 2 1954, b) they haven't yet filed for their own Social Security benefits, and c) they file for spousal benefits at full retirement age (FRA) or later. However, if your husband is deceased then even if you were born after January 1 1954 you could potentially start drawing widow's benefits as early as age 60 and wait up until age 70 to file for your own benefits.

Regardless of when you were born, if your own Social Security benefit rate is higher than your spousal or survivor rate you would never want to wait past the month you turn age 70 to claim your own benefits. Delayed retirement credits (DRC) can only be accrued up until the month that a person reaches age 70.

You may want to strongly consider using our software ( to fully explore and compare all of your potential filing options so that you can choose the best way to maximize your benefits.

Best, Jerry