Can I Reimburse Myself For Past Expenses That I Paid For My Child?

Jan 31 2019 - 6:29am

My child just got aprove her ssi since 2014 we getting all that back payment now i have prove of all the program specials to help her with her disability for all this years would i be able to get that reinbursed by that money. Im her payee.


Payments that you receive on behalf of your child from Social Security, including SSI (Supplemental Security Income), are intended to be used for your child's current or future needs. If you plan to use any of the benefits that your child is paid to reimburse yourself for past expenditures you paid on behalf of your child, you would need to obtain approval in advance from the Social Security Administration ( If you do get such an approval from Social Security, be sure to keep a copy of their authorization so that you'll have proof when you're eventually asked to account for your use of your child's benefits.

Best, Jerry