Can I Receive My Full Social Security And A Survivor Pension From My Wife's Civil Service Work?

Apr 27 2020 - 10:52am

My wife is retired from federal government civil service. She pays for survivors benefits to be paid to me upon her passing. I will draw from my social security at retirement. Will I be entitled to all of the survivors benefit as well as my full social security if she passes before me? Thank you


Yes. Pensions based on work for a government agency can't cause a person's Social Security benefit to be reduced unless the pension is based on the person's own government work. Therefore, your Social Security benefits won't be affected if you receive a survivor pension based on your wife's government work.

Best, Jerry