Ask Larry

Can I Receive Credit For My Military Service Retroactively?

When taking my social security benefits at age 62, I did not receive credit for my 4 years of active duty military service from 1960 to 1964. Can I retroactively pick up these benefits now?


Possibly. Your benefit rate could certainly be recalculated prospectively in order to consider any military credits for which you weren't given credit, but whether or not any resulting increase could be paid retroactively may depend on the cause of the omission. Administrative finality bars correction of Social Security determinations after the passage of 4 years unless an exception applies, such as a clerical error (

What you'll likely want to do is submit proof of your military service, ideally form DD-214, to Social Security along with a written request for a reopening and recalculation of your benefit rate.

Best, Jerry

Feb 10 2018 - 3:00pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.