Ask Larry

Can I Receive 75% Of My Dad's Primary Insurance Amount?

I'm 28 years old and receive SSI. I received a letter saying that I have to file a claim on my Mother and Father's records and that I'm eligible for Disabled Adult Children Benefits because I was 21 years old when I became disabled. My mother worked a little and is no longer alive and my Dad worked and is disabled and now receives SSDI. Would I be qualified to receive 75% instead of 50% of my Dad's Primary Insurance Amount? He would have a higher PIA than my Mom.


You could potentially get as much as 75% of your mother's primary insurance amount (PIA) or up to 50% of your father's PIA, whichever is higher. The 75% rate is the survivor rate, but 50% is the applicable rate for children receiving benefits on a living parent's record. However, your SSI (Supplemental Security Income) will be reduced essentially dollar for dollar by the amount of any disabled adult child's benefits that you receive.

Best, Jerry

Jan 6 2018 - 7:30am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.