Can I Get Survivor Benefits From My Husband's Record?

Jan 2 2017 - 4:15pm

Hi Larry my husband passed recently. He had ss and gov retirement. I am 89. I only have my retirement not ss. I am suppose to be getting his retirement plus my own. Do I get and therefore have to apply for his ss since i do not have ss?
Thank you .

Hi Tina,

I'm very sorry for your loss.

There's not really enough information in your question for me to be able to answer your question. It sounds as though you may be eligible for widow's benefits on your husband's record, so you should probably get in contact with Social Security to find out. If you aren't drawing any Social Security benefits now, you would need to file an application in order to become entitled to benefits.

You can contact Social Security by calling 1-800-772-1213, or you can visit the office nearest you. If you don't know where that is, you can use this office locater tool:

Best, Jerry