Ask Larry

Can I Get Retroactive Payments For My Disability Benefits That Were Suspended?

My SSDI benefits were suspended I didn't receive my continuing review paperwork so I didn't turn it in but I have since downloaded it completed it and returned it along with my work history can I reopen it using my original date that I that I submitted for SSDI to get retroactive payments?

Hi. Without access to your Social Security records there's no way for me to know the exact status of your benefits. However, if your Social Security disability (SSDI) benefits have been suspended but not terminated due to a delay in receiving the paperwork needed for a continuing disability review (CDR), then any benefits that were suspended should be refunded to you as long as your CDR determination is favorable.

I don't know why you didn't receive the original CDR paperwork that was apparently sent to you, but for anyone reading this I want to stress the importance of making sure that Social Security has your correct mailing address. If Social Security mails you something that is returned by the Post Office because of an incorrect address, they can suspend your benefits even if your benefit payments are being paid by direct deposit.

Best, Jerry

Feb 15 2023 - 3:50pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.