Ask Larry

Can I Get Any Financial Assistance For My Granddaughter?

I have legal guardianship of my granddaughter, both parents gave up parental rights. Can i get any financial assistance. I am disabled and on SSDI

Hi. Being the legal guardian for your granddaughter wouldn't make her eligible for benefits from your Social Security disability (SSDI) account. In order for a grandchild to potentially be able to qualify for Social Security benefits on the account of a grandparent, the child must either be adopted by the grandparent or both of the child's natural parents must have been deceased or disabled at the time that the grandparent started drawing Social Security benefits (

I don't know if you could get assistance from any sources other than Social Security, but if your granddaughter meets the requirements outlined above and if she's either under age 18, age 18 to 19 and still in high school, or she became disabled prior to age 22 then you may want to contact Social Security to see about applying for benefits on her behalf.

Best, Jerry

Jun 25 2021 - 10:47am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.