Can I File For Spousal Benefits At Age 66 And Let My Benefit Rate Grow Until Age 70?

Jan 27 2017 - 5:00am

I was told by a social security agent that when I turn 66 ( I am 65 now) I could receive half of my husbands benefits and then when I turn 70 I would receive my full benefits. Correct? Is this my best choice?


Assuming that your husband is receiving his benefits, then yes you can file a restricted application for spousal benefits only at age 66. You can then file on your own record at age 70, at which time your rate will be 32% higher than if you had taken it at age 66. This is probably your best choice, but you may want to run the maximization software available on this website to be sure.

Best, Jerry