Can I File For Spousal Benefits At Age 62 And Then File On My Own Record At Age 67?

Mar 14 2017 - 6:45am

My husband (6/1950) took his benefit at 65. I (9/1957) wonder if I can file for my spousal benefit at 62 and then my higher, full employment Social Security at 67? My age 62 spousal benefit would be lower then my age 62 employment benefit. If I am able to take the lower spousal benefit, will I be able to revert to a full spousal benefit if he passes away?
Thank you for your help.

Hi Jan,

No, you can't. Since you were born after January 1 1954, whenever you file for either retirement benefits on your own record or spousal benefits, you will be forced to apply for both. And, if you file before full retirement age (FRA), the benefit rate you receive will be reduced for age.

Regardless of when you file, though, you would still potentially be able to receive widow's benefits if your husband dies before you. The surviving member of a couple generally receives the higher of their two benefit rates, provided that the surviving spouse is at least FRA when they become entitled to the survivor benefit.

You may want to consider running the maximization software available on this website in order to explore all of your filing options.

Best, Jerry