Can I File A Restricted Application For Spousal Benefits?

Jun 13 2017 - 6:45am

My husband and I will be 66 in September 2017. He gets a teacher pension but has a small social security benefit from other work history that is offset by his teacher pension. He started taking SS benefits last year at age 65. I would like to hold off on taking my SSbenefit until age 70. Can I file a restricted application for spousal benefits? Will my benefit be based on his benefit original benefit amount before it was offset by his pension, or on his much smaller actual benefit amount?


Yes, since you were born before January 2 1954, you can file a restricted application for spousal benefits only at full retirement age (FRA).

Your spousal benefit will amount to 50% of your husband's full retirement age rate. If his benefit rate was calculated using the less generous Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) method due to his teacher's pension, that lower rate will be used when calculating your spousal benefit rate(

Best, Jerry