Can I File For Reduced Benefits On My Own Record And Switch To A Full Spousal Benefit At Age 66?

Jan 20 2017 - 7:45am

I am 63. I would like to take my early social security benefits. My husband is 64 and he will take his full benefits at 66, can I change over to receive the spousal benefits on his account when I am 66 for full benefits?


No, you can't. Once you file for benefits on your own record, that becomes your primary benefit for life. And, if you start your benefits before full retirement age (FRA), the reduction that you take will be permanent. You could later become eligible for an excess spousal benefit if your husband's full retirement age rate is more than twice as much as yours, but you'd still be stuck with any reduction that you took on your own record.

It sounds like you and your husband have a number of potential filing options to consider. You may want to strongly consider running the maximization software available on this website in order to determine your best strategy.

Best, Jerry