Can I File For Benefits On My Own Record At Age 63 And Divorced Spousal Benefits At Age 66?

Feb 10 2017 - 7:45am

I was married for 38 years. Divorced for 2+. I am 63. My ex-husband is 66 and started collecting SS at age 63. I was a stay-at-home-mom, but did work a little bit before kids. My spousal support was just reduced ( ex stopped working to avoid paying support) so I am faced with having to apply for SS at this point. Filing under my own record I will receive a little bit, about $500/month. It is my understanding that I cannot file under my ex's record until I turn 66. Can I file under my record now and then when I turn 66 file under my ex's record. I am thinking that I will receive more under his record at that time. Please advise.


If you file now or at anytime prior to age 66, you'll be deemed to be filing for both divorced spousal benefits and retirement benefits on your own record (, and the benefits you receive will be reduced. You may want to consider running the maximization software available on this website in order to explore your filing options.

Best, Jerry