Can I Draw Spousal Benefits Until Age 70, Then Convert To My Own Benefit?

Apr 19 2017 - 6:54am

My husband is taking his social security benefit at age 70. I am 67. May I draw spousal benefits until I reach age 70, then convert to my own benefit. My own benefit will be twice the spousal benefit. We Both have high earnings records. I was born in 1950; my husband was born in 1947.


Yes, as soon as your husband starts drawing his benefits you can file a restricted application for spousal benefits only on his record, and allow your own benefit rate to grow until age 70. You still have this option because you were born prior to January 2 1954, and were therefore grandfathered under the new law on deeming passed by Congress in 2015 (

Best, Jerry