Can I Draw Spousal Benefits If I Receive A Non-Covered Government Pension?

Jul 27 2016 - 12:30pm

I was born 1948 my wife 1954. We both draw a retirement form the start of Alaska. My wife only gets about $300 a month from the Alaska retirement. We both are vested in SS 40+ quarters. I started my ss when I was 62 and was reduced because I was retire from the state of Alaska to $350 a month. Because of off set laws and others I under stand I can not draw on my wife's SS and her SS will be reduced because she get a AK retirement.
How much will it be reduced and is there any advantage of wait to draw here SS because It will be reduced because of here AK retirement. Is there any way I can draw on her SS? Thank You in Advance for any help.


It sounds very unlikely that you would be eligible for any spousal benefits. The Government Pension Offset (GPO) provision would cause an amount equal to 2/3rds of your Alaska pension to be withheld from any benefits you would be entitled to on your wife's Social Security record. For more information on GPO, refer to the following Social Security pamphlet:

The best way to determine if you are eligible for benefits is to file an application with Social Security, however, you cannot apply for spousal benefits until your wife applies for her benefits.

Best, Jerry