Can I Draw On More Than One Record?

Jun 30 2016 - 10:45am

If I begin my Social security at 65 years of age (FRA is 66) and then my ex spouse of over 20 years was to pass away can I go back to social security and collect widower's social security he collects $ 1700 a month I would only receive $1280 on my own


Yes, you can, assuming you are unmarried or remarried after age 60. Specifically, what you would receive is an excess surviving divorced wife's benefit in addition to your own benefit. The two benefits would add up to roughly your ex's full rate.

Best, Jerry