Can I Discontinue Paying Into Social Security?

Mar 12 2018 - 4:12am

I am 66 began collecting under my SS at age 62 My husband died in 2017 I began collecting under him as his widow & then was informed I could collect under my first husband and that's what I am doing presently. My question is since I'm still working and collecting SS can I discontinue paying into it. I am currently receiving $1800, under my first husband, which is more than under me which was $1500. Thank you


I'm sorry for your loss.

No, you can't voluntarily stop paying Social Security taxes on your earnings even though it sounds like you'll never benefit from paying additional SS taxes.

Best, Jerry