Can I Claim My Husband's Retirement?

Aug 2 2020 - 10:25am

My husband and I both took early s.s at age 62.we are both over fra. Can I claim his retirement which is higher then mine.Do I go to the s.d. and file.


You can initiate the process of applying for spousal benefits by calling Social Security, but you'll only qualify for spousal benefits if 50% of your husband's primary insurance amount (PIA) is more than your own PIA. A person's PIA is equal to their Social Security retirement benefit rate if they start drawing their benefits at full retirement age (FRA). You don't mention your and your husband's benefit rates, so I have no idea whether or not you might be eligible for spousal benefits.

If your husband dies before you you would be eligible for the higher of a) your own benefit rate, or b) the higher of your husband's benefit rate or 82.5% of his PIA. If the widow's rate is higher than your own rate, you'd need to file an application for the widow's benefits after your husband's death.

Best, Jerry