Ask Larry

Can I Apply For My Deceased Husband's SS At 65 And Then Change To My Own SS At Age 70?

Hi Larry,
Can I apply my deceased husbands( survivor benefit) ssi at 65 then change my own ssi at 70?
Thank you.

Hi. Yes, you could potentially file for widow's benefits as early as age 60 while waiting until age 70 to apply for your own benefits. Your best filing strategy depends on the comparative amounts of your survivor and retirement benefits, and how much you'll be earning if you work prior to reaching full retirement age (FRA). It sounds like you should strongly consider using our software ( to fully analyze your options so that you can determine your best strategy for maximizing your benefits.

Best, Jerry

Jun 7 2021 - 6:37am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License