Ask Larry

Can I Apply For Child Survivor Benefits As A Disabled Adult?

Can I apply for child survival benefits if I'm an adult on ssi I been disabled at age 20 but I wasn't on ssi

Hi. You can always apply, but to eligible for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits it would have to be determined that you became disabled according to Social Security standards prior to turning age 22. You'd also need to have a parent who is either drawing Social Security retirement or disability benefits or who is deceased and was insured for Social Security benefits.

Proving that you were disabled prior to age 22 can be difficult depending on your current age and the availability of medical records dating back to when you were under age 22. There's no cost to apply for DAC benefits, though, so you may want to go ahead and apply in order to get a determination from Social Security. I should mention that if your claim for DAC benefits is approved, your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments will be offset dollar for dollar by all but at least the first $20 of your DAC benefit rate.

Best, Jerry

Jul 8 2021 - 1:10pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.