Can a Child of a Resident Alien Receive a Child's Benefit?

Jun 28 2016 - 10:45pm

Hi, I'm a late 50s US resident alien resident in the US more than 50 years. My wife is a Thai citizen and lives in Thailand. She has never resided in the US. Our dependent child has dual Thai and EU citizenship. I plan to work until about 70 in the US and then move to Thailand. Question: in the event of my death is my child eligible for SSI benefits? Thanks, Claude

Hi Claude, you mean to ask if your child is eligible for Social Security benefits, not Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. If you've paid Social Security taxes and have fully insured status with Social Security, then your dependent child should be able to receive a Social Security child's benefit but this is something you'll have to check with Social Security about to be sure. Thanks, John