Ask Larry

Any Suggestions As To How I Can Proceed To Get My Correct Military Credits?

I served in the military. I started out in the Reserves, then switch to Regular Army (AD) and after 10 years I returned to the reserves. I did an initial period of AD in 1975 of 4 months and 20 days. Each year I did anywhere from 13 days to 2 months AT/ADT until 1979 when I went on AD. I only did one AT in 1991 when I was in the Reserves. Social security states it already gave me credit for my AD, but when I compared the reported income the Social Security Admin stated I had going back to 1973, I could account for all my reported income to the IRS from 82-89. The amounts they show on the web site are the same amounts on my w-2's. Additionally, since one needs to get a DD214 for 90 days or more, and all I got was orders and a DA 2139 showing I was paid for the smaller amounts of AD (I should have received a DD220). The Social Security Administration is claiming they already gave me credit, when in fact I can prove they didn't for my RA time. As for my ADT/AT time, I sure they haven't given me credit. Any suggestions as how I'm to proceed? I have showing them my DD214's, my orders and DA 2139's which they are rejecting because I didn't get a DD214.


When you file for benefits, you can submit any type of proof that you have of your periods of active duty ( If all of your active duty was after 1967, though, you should receive the appropriate credits without needing to submit proof. If you don't have any proof for periods of active duty that you believe are missing from your earnings record, you can ask Social Security to search for proof using one or several methods that they have available to them ( And, if you feel that you still haven't received the correct amount of deemed military wages and it affects the benefit rate that you are eventually awarded, you can file an appeal questioning your benefit amount.

Best, Jerry

Oct 16 2017 - 8:32am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.