Ask Larry

Am I Getting Any Help From The Military For My SS Retirement?

Am I getting any help from the military for my retirment on ss?.

Hi. I don't have enough information about you to be able to give you a proper answer. What I can tell you is that military wages are subject to Social Security taxes, and those earnings can be used when calculating your Social Security retirement or disability benefit rate. Social Security also credits deemed military wages (DMW) in addition to a person's actual military wages for periods of active duty from 1957 through 2001, and those DMWs can also be used to calculate a person's Social Security retirement or disability benefit rate.

Best, Jerry

Nov 25 2021 - 7:05pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License