Ask Larry

Am I Eligible To File For Totalization Benefits From Both The U.S. And Canada?

I lived and worked in USA for 9 years and paid taxes 1995 t0 2004. I now live in Canada as a citizen and have worked for 12 years here. I am due for retirement in 2 years. Can I be eligible to file for Totalization to earn retirement benefits from both countries

Hi. I can't tell you about the Canadian Pension Program, but as long as you have at least 6 U.S. Social Security quarters of coverage (QC) but less than 40 QCs then you can potentially qualify for a U.S. totalization benefit if you have enough foreign earnings credits to give you the equivalent of 40 QCs ( You must also be at least age 62 to potentially qualify for retirement benefits.

For more information about how to go about applying for totalization benefits refer to the following Social Security publication:

Best, Jerry

Nov 24 2021 - 9:21am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License