Ask Larry

Am I Eligible For Deemed Military Wages?

I served 8 years AD in the armed forces from 1967 - 1974 and subsequently completed another 23 years in the active reserves for a total of 32 years and 2 wars. I receive a Retired Reserve pension. Am I also eligible for the "Deemed Military Wages" for the active duty period I served?


Yes, you would be eligible for deemed military wages (DMW) for all of your periods of active duty. Starting with 1968 the DMWs should automatically be posted to your Social Security earnings record, but you would likely need to submit proof of your active duty to Social Security to receive DMWs for periods prior to 1968.

Best, Jerry

Oct 22 2017 - 8:08am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.