Ask Larry

Will My Son's Benefit Amount Go Up When I Stop Getting Benefits?

When my son turns 16 and my benefits are stopped will his go up or stay the same? It's only us two receiving benefits. Thank you.

Hi. Assuming that you and your son are receiving survivor benefits, then the answer is no. The maximum amount that a child or a surviving spouse with a child in care can be paid is 75% of the deceased worker's primary insurance amount (PIA). And, when only 2 survivor's are collecting benefits, the family maximum benefit (FMB) doesn't reduce their benefit rates to less than 75% of the PIA. Therefore, if you and your son receive survivor benefits then it sounds like you and your son are already being paid your maximum survivor rate, and your son's benefit amount won't increase when you stop collecting benefits.

However, if you and your son are getting auxiliary benefits on a living worker's record, then the termination of your benefits likely would increase your son's benefit rate. Auxiliary benefits are limited to a maximum of 50% of the worker's PIA, but if 2 or more auxiliaries are receiving benefits then the FMB would limit their benefit payable to less than the full 50%. In that case, when one auxiliary stops getting benefits then the remaining auxiliary's benefit amount would increase.

Best, Jerry

Apr 26 2022 - 10:46am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.