Ask Larry

When My Son Turns 18 Will I Get His Portion Of The Money?

I currently receive SSDI when my son turns 18 will I get his portion of the money or will I stay the same

Hi. No, when your son stops drawing his benefits it won't cause any change to your benefit rate. Spousal and child benefits paid to family members from a retired or disabled worker's record are auxiliary, or extra, benefits. They're paid in addition to the worker's benefit amount, not taken away from it. Therefore, since your son's benefits didn't cause your benefit rate to be reduced in the first place, your benefit rate won't go up when his benefit payments stop.

Best, Jerry

Jan 3 2022 - 7:31pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.