Ask Larry

What Forms Do I Need To Complete In Order To Implement The Start, Stop, Start Strategy?

I love your new book; I even bought the sister book regarding Medicare. One question: I started collecting social security at 63 y/o, now 66 y/o. Due to changes in family income, I would like to stop receiving social security now and implement the "start, stop, start" strategy you discuss on p. 168. I can't find what forms to fill out or how to proceed. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you very much.


No form is required to voluntarily suspend your benefits. You are permitted to suspend your benefits based on nothing more than an oral request to Social Security, although a written request may be preferable. A 'Statement of Claimant' form SSA-795 ( could be used for that purpose.

By the way, the earliest that you could suspend your benefits is the month after the month of your request, so you may want to get in touch with Social Security as soon as possible. Your benefits should then be automatically reinstated when you reach age 70 unless you request reinstatement before then. And again, the earliest that you could reinstate your benefits is the month following the month of your request.

Best, Jerry

Nov 29 2017 - 7:57am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.