What Can I Do To Make Sure That Social Security Computed By Benefit Amount Correctly?

Jan 9 2021 - 4:37pm

I retired at 62 and applied for SS benefits, i am 68 now but my relatives keep telling me that I get a lot less then they get and that there must be an error on my calculation of my benefits by SS. What can I do or who can I contact to make sure they did it correct?


You could submit a written request to Social Security asking them to recompute your benefit rate. The form normally used for that purpose is an SSA-795 (https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-795.pdf). I should note, though, that unless you had Social Security covered earnings that weren't included in the original calculation of your benefit rate, it's very unlikely that a recomputation will result in a different benefit rate.

Best, Jerry