How Does Prison Suspension Affect My Benefit Rate?

Sep 7 2016 - 11:00am

i started collecting ss at age 62 , when i went to federal prison my ss stopped , i need to apply for ss now at age 73 will my ss be paid at the 62 age or the age of 73


Your benefits will resume at the reduced rate you took at age 62, inclusive of cost of living increases that occurred while you were imprisoned. You don't need to reapply for benefits, by the way. You just need to show Social Security proof of your release, and your benefits will be reinstated effective with the first full month of freedom.

Best, Jerry