How Do I Get Social Security To Recalculate My Benefits?

Feb 4 2017 - 4:30pm

Last October I received a letter from SSA informing me that my monthly benefit would be increased,this past year my earnings have increased considerably,how do I go about asking them to do the same one more time.


Recomputations are done automatically on an annual basis, so no action on your part is required. However, you may see the increase sooner if you submit proof of your 2016 earnings to your nearest Social Security office ( and request a manual recomputation of your benefit rate. This can be done by mail or in person. If you were employed in 2016, Social Security will need a copy of your W-2 form(s). If you were self-employed, they'll need a copy of Schedule SE from your tax return after it has been filed.

Best, Jerry