How Can I Get More From Social Security?

Feb 12 2017 - 11:45am

I can't get help from SS since they say my monthly SS check is too high. (1540 in CA).
That is crazy since I live in CA where nothing is cheap. How can I get more money or
at least qualify for more to live here. I am 79 and no one wants to hire a person in that
age range.


Social Security is a federal program, so benefit rates are calculated exactly the same for people living in California as they are for those living anywhere else in the U.S. So, unless you are entitled to some type of benefit in addition to what you're now getting, it's likely that you're already receiving all that you are entitled to from Social Security. For more information on the various types of Social Security benefits, refer to their website:

On the other hand, public assistance payments are generally tailored to state and local economic conditions, so you may want to check those out if you haven't already done so. Here is a link to the website for California's Department of Social Services:

Best, Jerry