How Can I Get Access To My Work Record?

Aug 12 2016 - 1:30pm

I am a retired Veteran, widowed at 52. I applied for widow's SS benefits at age 60 (and quit working) and will switch to my own benefit at age 70. Prior to receiving widow's benefits I could monitor my own work record/projected benefits online. I have since been shut out from my own record and can only access info on my current benefit. This makes it near impossible to make long-term plans with any accuracy. How do I get access to my own work record /projected benefits again?


Unless Social Security expands their online services, you'd have to contact the agency directly by calling 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting an office in person.

Best, Jerry