Do I Need To Contact Social Security To Let Them Know That I'll No Longer Be Working?

Jun 7 2018 - 12:26pm

Hi Larry, I am 63 and presently working but signed up to begin my SS benefits in January 2018. My income for the year would have been $33,000 and they are suspending my benefits until September. I will no longer be employed after July. Do I need to contact SS to let them know that I will no longer be working and to not suspend my benefits? Will I get my suspended benefits of 2018 in 2019 since I did not reach the $17040 threshold in? Thank you for any help!


Yes, it certainly sounds like you should contact Social Security to amend your 2018 earnings estimate as soon as possible. If you change your estimate to an amount below $17040, Social Security will refund any benefits that were previously withheld as soon as possible. You don't need to wait until 2019 to correct your estimate and receive any suspended benefits.

Best, Jerry